2016-07-24

A few tipps on finetuning lubuntu

I am currently preparing a Linux installation (VirtualBox client) based on Lubuntu. Though Lubuntu (as far as I know) is not specifically focussed on developers, its beauty lies in the fact that the distro is reasonably small. In this post I will share a few tips on finetuning it regarding developer needs.

Lubuntu after a couple of small changes running inside VirtualBox
Lubuntu after a couple of small changes running inside VirtualBox

As I need a really up-to-date Java development kit, I decided to download it directly from the Oracle website. Though this is mere personal taste, I like to put it in /opt and add a symbolic link without a version. This is convenient as I encourage you to include its bin directory in PATH. Switching Java versions can then be done be changing the link, rather than modifying PATH. This brings us to the question of where to change this environment variable. I chose .xsessionrc in my home directory. Why? Well, if another user doesn't want or need a JDK, I think he shouldn't see it.

 # Java (JDK)
export JAVA_HOME=/opt/jdk1.8
export PATH="$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin"


As I need Android Studio and the Android SDK as well, I set it up in .xsessionrc, too.

# Android
export ANDROID_HOME=/home/workshop/android
export PATH="$PATH:$ANDROID_HOME/tools:$ANDROID_HOME/platform-tools"


ANDROID_HOME comes in handy if you plan to use Gluon Mobile. Well, and access to the tools and platform-tools directory provides quick access to, for example, adb and emulator.

I did not know that I could have installed NetBeans through apt-get, so I downloaded it from the NetBeans homepage. The installer kindly put an entry in the Lubuntu desktop menu. As I wanted this for Android Studio, as well, I added that entry on my own. Here is how to do that. Provided, you have installed Android Studio to /opt/android-studio, just create a file called studio.desktop with the following contents and save it to /usr/share/applications.

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Android Studio
Exec=/bin/sh "/opt/android-studio/bin/studio.sh"
Icon=/opt/android-studio/bin/studio.png
Categories=Application;Development;Android;IDE
Type=Application
Terminal=0


Finally: I am a big fan of Sublime Text 3. Here is how to install it.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/sublime-text-3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install sublime-text-installer

That's it. Happen to have any other tips regarding Lubuntu? I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment